Monday, September 13, 2010

The Doldrums

Poem by Uriah Burke

Here I sit behind bars fabricated out of other's minds.
Monotony is my guard, he beats me regularly.
My mind rots ever approaching the destruction of my soul.
The world sentenced me here, for the infractions of Nature.

I am surrounded by folks who share my turmoil.
The term is life, and that is exactly what it takes.
Most will expire forever ignorant to what they could have.
Knowledge is my ally, she inspires hope.

Daily I salt the grounds with my progress.
Inch by inch out, under a poster of beautiful thinkers.
But when freedom is achieved the joke is on me.
I will become a juror, passing the same sentence.

Contributors Note: I am currently in my last semester here at Cerro Coso. This winter I will be Transferring to Cal State Bakersfield. I have years of experience as a tutor under my belt, and have tried to incorporate it into a lot of my work. I enjoy all kinds of fantasy and fiction, and while I enjoy writing have never been published before.

No comments: